Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Sidewalk ornament

Finally, a sunny, warm day! All day, too! We spent a couple of hours walking around the neighbourhood, looking for early flowers.

I'd never noticed this little beauty before:

Squill or squill hybrid, possibly Scilla bifolia, nestling close to a sun-warmed log.

It's a spring-flowering European import, related to the hyacinths. It grows from a bulb, but also self-seeds, is winter-hardy and tolerant of shade or sun. Here, it was growing beside the sidewalk, in a weedy patch. (You can see dandelion leaves in the background.)

1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger