Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Same scene, new day

There comes a day, after a rough spell when life has been a struggle, that I look out and discover that the world is new again, that the birds still sing, and the sun still shines.

Today was that day. Laurie is stronger. The skies were blue, the breeze warm. I got Laurie into a wheelchair and took him across the hospital campus to sit in the sunshine and watch the clouds.

Same scene as last post, from the same hospital window. 4:30 PM, with a hint of orange as the sun goes down behind us. 

I haven't been feeding the birds for the past couple of weeks, and they've been foraging elsewhere. But I stepped outside to re-acquaint myself with the garden this morning, and after a minute, heard a "cheep"*, looked up, and found three chickadees already waiting for their goodies. They must have been keeping a watch.

*It was a "cheep", not the usual half-scolding "dee-dee-dee" that the chickadees usually say. More of a question; "Are you back?" Yes, I'm back.

Thank you to all of you who have sent good thoughts and encouraging words our way. It has really helped to know people care.

Laurie is to have surgery on Thursday; a feeding tube installed to replace his defunct esophagus. Then there will be a few days of recovery, and he can come home, in time to catch the first crocuses in the garden.

A Skywatch post.

7 comments:

  1. Wish I had some wise words for you in this tough time. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and return home and a good outcome from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care, Rita. It's a tough go. I have some resources on feeding tubes here. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year ago, the emotions I sense here were mine as Bill struggled in hospital. We are now out and about again. Honestly, I had almost lost sight of that possibility. I'm so hoping the same outcome for you and Laurie. Do message me privately if you want to talk through your thoughts about how important you are as Laurie's advocate and caregiver, and/or about how vital it is to go with your gut feelings about his treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any improvement is better than none. Best to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a very strong and resourceful person, but going through this I know isn't easy. Good thoughts to both of you and I'll be thinking of you this coming Thursday. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:48 pm

    Glad to know that things have improved there. Sending good thoughts to you and Laurie and hope things go well on Thursday. Thank you for this update.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, all. And thanks, Jennifer, for those links. Very useful reading!

    Carol, yes, I caught up with your blog a few months ago, and was glad to see that Bill was better. I'll remember that as Laurie recovers his strength.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger