Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Statues

When I was a kid, oh so many centuries ago, we used to play a game that we called Statues. (Here it is called "Swing the Statue", which is probably a better name.

One player is chosen to be "it." He or she takes each of the other players in turn and, holding them by a wrist or hand, swings them in a circle and then lets them go. The swung player must freeze as soon as possible and hold that position as long as possible. The first player to break the freeze becomes "it." Since the first player swung must hold the position longest, begin with the oldest child first. The entertainment value comes from seeing the strange positions that players end up in and watching them try to hold those positions. (From About.com.)

This grey squirrel would be good at the game. She froze in place at the first click of the camera's mirror lifting, even through the closed door, and held the pose until I tired of waiting for her to come closer. I moved first; she won the round.

"If I don't move, she won't see me."


3 comments:

  1. Your frozen squirrel reminds me of a junco hanging onto a rake handle on my deck. The junco froze in an awkward position because an accipitor zoomed over. I was washing dishes and so watched .... and watched. Twenty minutes in that awkward position!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember playing statues in elementary school when I grew up in Los Angeles. Some things are the same everywhere I guess. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elva, I guess they have to be good at it; their lives so often depend on being totally invisible.

    Margy; Googling the game, I came up with three different sets of rules, but basically the same game, played all around the world.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger