Sunday, August 02, 2015

Dancing anemone

I've been asked for photos of my entire setup. I'm working on it, but it's easier said than done. This is part of the reason why. I get sidetracked.

The big brown anemone that came home on Canada Day stands front and centre, more or less. Usually less; he's sulking. If the water's too cold, or too warm, or too old, or too slow, he sulks. If a hermit steps on him, he sulks. Sometimes, for no reason that I can see, he puckers up his mouth like a baby tasting a pickle, hunkers down, and sulks for hours.

And in between those times, he sometimes dances.

Lift those skirts!

Siamese anemones?

For a few minutes, I thought he was going to split in two, but no, he slid entirely off the shell he came home on, flapped his skirts a few more times, then slid back onto the shell and stood there sedately. He's there now, tall and glorious.

I'll post the whole kit and kaboodle tomorrow, I think.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see he's still doing well! I wouldn't worry too much about the sulking... Most of the ones I saw underwater were also sulking. As this species is in the lower intertidal zone, I do wonder how the higher temperature of your tank will affect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at your photos; yes, some of them were shut down, too. As long as the anemones open up once in a while, I figure they're ok. They're intertidal creatures, so they're equipped to handle changes and disruptions.

    I've been keeping the tank at about 62 degrees (Fahrenheit, because that's the thermometer I have.) It's a little on the warm side for the anemone from Campbell River, but with this heat, that's the best I can do.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger